I wanted to use some jQuery in my Master Page to render a dynamic navigation control that was given to me by another developer. I wanted to use the Google JQuery library. Utilizing is about as straight-forward as one could imagine; I just needed to add this to the header of my Master Page:

<script src="<a href="http://www.google.com/jsapi">http://www.google.com/jsapi</a>" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">google.load("jquery", "1.4.2");</script>

However, whenever I loaded it, I kept getting the error, ‘google’ is undefined.

I’m working on a single VMWare VM which has Windows Server 2008 loaded on it. I thought it was most likely security settings that were causing this to happen (since I didn’t have an error in Firefox) so I added the site to my “Intranet” category and even set my Intranet security settings to “Low”. Still no luck. Finally, I decided to turn off Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration, (which is enabled by default on Server OS’s, I believe.) It’s tricky to figure out how to turn it off because the IE help instructions don’t mention how to disable it. I found this helpful post on how to do it. Once I disabled those settings, voila, my jQuery worked. Hope this helps someone else avoid the trouble I had.

About Admin

Owner of Savvy Technical Solutions

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.