As a small business owner, my blog, at blog.beckybertram.com is an important part of my marketing strategy. Since my only asset is myself and my knowledge, helping others out by sharing that knowledge is a way of building confidence in my clients that I can be of help to their organization as well. My blog has been running for several years and was running on Windows SharePoint 3.0, using the Blog site template. I wanted to upgrade my blog to the most current version of SharePoint, SharePoint Foundation 2010.
Unfortunately, my current hosting company told me that they didn’t have a straight forward upgrade plan for me. They were going to charge me a lot of money to perform the upgrade, and they told me that they couldn’t promise me that the IDs of each list item would get migrated correctly. This would be catastrophic for my site, because each blog posting’s URL includes its list item ID. If the IDs didn’t get retained during the upgrade process, people linking to my blog postings externally would now find their links possibly linking to the wrong posts. I needed a solution that would allow me to copy my list items as is to a new SharePoint 2010 site.
As a side note, I was so frustrated with my old hosting provider, I decided to go with a new hosting provider during this migration process. I decided to go with a SharePoint hosting company called FPWeb, which is based in the St. Louis, MO area, too, (just as I am).
I talked to a friend at Metalogix who graciously allowed me to use Metalogix SharePoint Site Migration Manager 2010. Although I wasn’t able to migrate my content directly from my old blog to my new blog, I was able to migrate the content from my old blog to a new SPF 2010 site I had on a local virtual machine. From there, I was able to detach the content database and provide it to my new hosting company, who then attached it to my new site collection on their server. (The reason for this is that, for the IDs to remain intact, you need to use the SharePoint Server-side API, which isn’t possible without running the migration code directly on a SharePoint server. For obvious reasons, my hosting company wasn’t happy about installing Metalogix’s tool — a third party product — on their server.)
You can watch the video to see how I did this: